Facing the decision to give up your pet can be devastating and we know it's not easy. We understand that there are sometimes circumstances that may prevent you from being able to keep your pet, and San Diego Humane Society is here to help.
Pets are often surrendered to a shelter because an owner is unaware of other options or resources that can help the pet remain in their home. We offer resources and other opportunities to help families maintain the bond they have with their pets. If you've exhausted these resources, please first consider directly re-homing your pet.
Tips for re-homing your pet without taking them to a shelter:
- Download the re-homing tool kit, full of resources to help you find a new home for your pet.
- Don't rush! Take time to find your furry friend the best new home.
- Increase your pet's adoptability by having them spayed/neutered, groomed and up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Tell your friends, family and coworkers. The more people that know you need help, the better chance you'll have.
- Advertise in the local newspaper or online, but use caution when considering unknown individuals or families as your pet's new owners. Share your expectations for your pet's new home and be sure to ask questions to identify a home that will be a good fit for your pet. No one knows your pet better than you do!
- Never abandon your pet! San Diego Humane Society is here if you need to relinquish your pet.
- List your pet with reputable partners who specialize in connecting pets who need a good home with families looking to adopt!