Create a More Humane San Diego
San Diego Humane Society, an open-admission shelter, is creating a more humane world by inspiring compassion and advancing the welfare of animals and people. Our lifesaving safety net has helped San Diego become the largest city in the U.S. to keep healthy and treatable animals from being euthanized. We are a private, independent, nonprofit organization that is not affiliated with any other humane society or society for the prevention of cruelty to animals.
With campuses in Escondido, Oceanside and San Diego, we provide animal services for 12 cities within San Diego County. We not only care for 50,000 animals in our communities, but also share the expertise we have gained through our innovative programs with shelters nationwide so they can save more lives in their communities.
While our influence is expanding nationally, our top priority is meeting the needs of San Diego. We provide exceptional care for all animals through world-class veterinary medicine, shelter and most of all: love.
What We Strive For
A more compassionate world.
Create a more humane world by inspiring compassion, providing hope and advancing the welfare of animals and people.
How We Measure Success
Operationally, we have set goals to:
- Advance Animal Welfare
- Support a Healthy Community
- Champion a Thriving Organization
- Maintain Financial Health
San Diego Humane Society is More Than Just a Shelter Because...
Your Support in Action
Our commitment is to continue keeping healthy and treatable animals from being euthanized while we expand our innovative programs to help other shelters locally and across the country stay at zero euthanasia. We are deeply committed to meeting the varied needs of animals and the people who love them. But we can’t do it without the generosity of our friends in the community – friends who know that when they donate to San Diego Humane Society, they are making extraordinary work possible. As an independent nonprofit organization not affiliated with any other humane society or Society for the Prevention and Cruelty to Animals, philanthropy is crucial to our mission, providing more than 40% of our budget each year.
And, what does this giving support?
- The cost of serving over 67,000 animals in 2017-2018 —through pet adoptions, wildlife rehabilitation, community spay/neuter services and more—was $45,000 per day.
- Every companion animal we place in a loving home is spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and provided the highest level of care while they are in our shelters – costing approximately $1,300 per dog or cat.
- Innovative programs such as our Kitten Program, which nursed thousands of kittens less than eight weeks old to health last year, and found them loving homes.
- Project Wildlife, which provided over 11,000 sick, injured and/or orphaned wild animals with emergency and rehabilitative care in 2017.
- Our PAWS San Diego program, which serves as a safety net for people in need, helping them keep the animals they love.
These figures are a small snapshot of what we accomplish together with people like you who love animals. To become a partner in this lifesaving work, donate here.
Serving San Diego County since 1880, San Diego Humane Society provides vital services to animals and people by rescuing, sheltering and adopting animals, investigating animal cruelty and neglect, providing positive reinforcement behavior training for adoptable animals, inspiring compassion in people through education, Pet-Assisted Therapy and much more.